The most difficult times can produce the greatest spiritual blessings. God truly knows just what we need at every moment!

Saturday, May 17, 2014

V Easter Sunday - A

I am the Way, the Truth and the Life

The Truth ... is an extremely dangerous concept and very awkward word in the human vocabulary. Already Pilate was afraid of it when Christ stood before him. Also high priest Annas, and Caiaphas, and the Pharisees ... and those for whom Christ was uncomfortable were afraid of the TRUTH. All totalitarian leaders feared it as well as all self-confident autocrats and politicians, and politically correct magicians of the "rounded words", but also the small, everyday liars. The truth does not cease to haunt all those who are afraid of it. It is something that definitely liberates, and makes free, but very often it is something for which you can easily and quickly go to jail and be hated by others. This is the ultimate and unalterable TRUTH. Love it or be afraid of it.

Christ was not afraid of it, He acknowledges, that HE is the Truth, and before Pilate He clearly states: "For this I was born, and for this I came into the world to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears my voice."(Jn 18:37 )

I'm afraid of it – I am afraid of the Truth ... and maybe especially the little truth about myself - I too ... I do not want to accept it, because it exposes my pettiness, because it is ripping off my masks and make-ups. I do not want to recognize the truth because I will be obliged to radically change my life.

Some are trying to drown it, to kill it, or to muzzle it. Still others pretend it does not exist. Some people try to get around it diplomatically, with a sarcastic smile or brutally shut-up, or shout out, to drown in the slogans, in music or even cleverly manipulated quotations from Scripture. There are those who did not want to hear about it and ironically mock it, mock and ridicule, proving that it does not exist ... that it is relative, it depends on the system, the situation, the culture of my state of health, and many other "objective factors". There is probably not a reality, or a concept so battered and so neglected as truth.

And Christ continues, as TRUTH, as a signpost on the road, as the Way and the Life. Christ is the Truth that leads to Life. He is the True Way of Life. He alone is the Way in the Truth to Life Eternal. He repeats constantly: "If you persist in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (John 8:32 ) And perhaps because we are not free, we do not want to know the truth? Perhaps this is why there is no life in us because we run away from the truth? Perhaps this is why our life is a road to nowhere, because we are afraid of the truth, because we muzzle it?

And what is my relationship to the truth?

Jesus says of himself: "I ​​am the Way, the Truth and the Life." Only few words, but probably the most important words spoken over 5 000 years of written human history.

Thomas Kempis wrote in the fifteenth century: "Without the Way, there is nowhere to go. Without the truth, nothing is known. Without Life, there is no life at all."


And where are you? Do you know which way you are going in your life? Do you know that the ultimate truth is Jesus Christ? Is Jesus the Truth and the Way that leads you to eternal Life?

No comments: